View Single Post
Old 06-14-2019, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Other Waldo Pepper View Post
::shrugs:: Okay, let’s start with one.

[googles]

How about Macmillan? Their online dictionary, which of course labels a number of other words as “offensive”, mentions nothing of the sort when indicating that this noun means an illegal immigrant.

So take it up with BigT, who should’ve done what you just did by sensibly referring to “the vast majority of current dictionaries” or some such instead of just leading off with an “any”. I’m not saying I dispute your sensible remark here; why didn’t you sensibly dispute BigT’s remark there?
Merriam Webster calls it "sometimes disparaging and offensive". If you want to hang your hat on "not all dictionaries call it offensive all the time", then feel free. But it's a slur the way you're using it, and there are non-slur ways to say the same thing. Using it knowing this just means that you're okay with using (and rationalizing) ethnic slurs.

I've had the exact same conversation with people about "wetback" and worse racial slurs. Some people just really, really want to use ethnic/racial slurs, and will search for any justification they can scrabble for. I'm not sure why you'd want to join their ranks, but you are free to do so.

Last edited by iiandyiiii; 06-14-2019 at 06:55 AM.