View Single Post
Old 09-11-2019, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcite View Post
Where would you put the thermostat sensor to turn it off--in the pipe of coolant itself, or in the region of the base you're trying to cool down? I would think it would run for a long time at first while it got the temperature down, before it started cycling on and off.
I put it in the water reservoir--basically a buffer tank that stays at the target temperature. My previous base had a giant tank, like 24 tons or thereabouts, which indeed took a long time to cool down (though like I said, with supercoolant there's hardly any net power use). The tank doesn't have to be that big, though; a partially-filled 4x1 tank (say, 2000 kg) is sufficient to get started, as long as slightly larger temperature fluctuations are ok. You need room for a liquid pump, a hydro sensor, and a thermo sensor.

Quote:
I checked out the screenshots of your base. Very impressive. So in your steam turbine setups, you put the petroleum to be heated by the aquatuner, and the water to be boiled into steam, in the same chamber?
That's right. I went through a bunch of variations but this proved to be the simplest. The petroleum acts as a buffer and heat exchange agent for the aquatuner (the aquatuner can't get rid of heat fast enough with pure steam). And it's easy to fill up. I use the liquid vent that was already there as the turbine output, and then build a little filling pool outside the unit. I pump in about 1000 kg of petroleum, for 200 kg per tile inside, and then 200 kg of water (40 kg per tile). The water quickly turns to steam, and the petroleum just sits on the bottom spreading the heat around.

Oh yeah, and I also put a 5x2 array of tempshift plate in both the turbine room and the steam chamber, though I'm really not sure how necessary that is. I may try building one without that.

Quote:
Also, it looks like in your screenshots, you've got some steam turbines where the chamber below doesn't have an aquatuner, just a liquid vent and a gas pump. What's going on there?
Early variations. In these, I used metal tiles as heatspreaders and put the aquatuner beside it in a separate pool of petroleum. These work fine but are bigger and more complicated than they need to be. The combined version works great and is almost as small as it could be.

You may note that my steam chambers have a pump in them. I do this for an initial pumpdown to vacuum so that gas doesn't interfere with the steam. However, on one version I accidentally left some oxygen in there, and it seemed to disappear over time--so the pump may not be necessary. I should experiment more here as well. Always trying to optimize more!