View Single Post
Old 09-05-2019, 07:38 PM
Charter Member

As a slight tangent, my go-to tool for any kind of transcription or practicing of bass lines is this:

Capo for iOS / MacOS

If you have either an iPad, iPhone, or a Mac, you can use this software. It's more convenient on the Mac, and it's definitely easier to see on an iPad than an iPhone, but it still works very well for all of these platforms.
Capo was designed for guitar, but works just as well for bass.

With it, I do the following with zero effort:
- Change speed without affecting pitch. I slow it down to 50% and the notes are all still the same, just stretched out.
- Change key. If the song is in C but our singer finds it's too high, I can drop the tune down to Bb and practice it that way, getting ready for when we really play it in Bb.
- Fine tune pitch. This is great for songs that are out of tune slightly.
- Identify chords. The software makes a pretty good guess and labels the chords.

With a little bit of effort you can separate the notes
- You can listen to a narrow band of frequencies or a narrow spatial window in the "stereo sound" space.
- The software displays a spectrum analyzer that gives a pretty rough idea of what the notes are. Overtones muddy the water, but it's a pretty good start for identifying troublesome notes in a riff.

Between the ability to slow down dramatically while amping up the bass/mids and looking at the visual display, I use it daily for transcribing as well as practice.
I used keyboard macro software to set up MIDI controller actions to control this software, so I just twist a knob on a controller to pan through the song.