View Single Post
Old 03-01-2016, 07:43 AM
greggamma greggamma is offline
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 1
What happened? Electrical circuit education needed

I hooked a 9 Volt battery using 2 alligator clips to a piece of copper plate. Here is what happened 1) My volt meter read nothing. 2) There was a pop sound 3)The battery heated up quickly...less than 15 seconds.
Now A) What can I do to prevent that? B) WHAT happened? The battery tests at 8.6 volts with my multimeter c)If a battery has 9 Volts of potential why does it overheat when basically taking in what it puts out? Its the same voltage and current. Since the metal is resisting it I would have thought there was even LESS energy going back to the battery. D) Do I just need a resistor in the wire to lower the voltage going to the plate?
Thanks for any info.