View Single Post
Old 08-13-2019, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace57 View Post
I learned Barre chords very early from my teacher. The "dreaded" F chord that every beginner struggles with.

I soon learned the basics of the fretboard. Slide your E shape Barre to the third fret for G. Fifth fret for A. etc.

Then I learned the A shape Barre. Works the same way. C chord on the 3rd fret and D chord on the 5th.

I have always sucked changing from a E shape Barre to a A shape Barre. My fingers lift up and wave in the wind. Making fast chord changes difficult.

A lot of songs use a I IV V chord progression. Sometimes they use the ii or vi for a minor chord.

The lightbulb finally went off a few weeks ago. If you're in the key of A and use a 5th fret E shape barre. Your IV chord, D is right there under your fingers in the A shape Barre.

Or if you're in the key of D and use a 5th fret A shape barre. Your V chord is right there under your fingers in the E shape Barre.

It's built into the instrument. All up and down the fretboard. Pick your root chord and you also know the IV or V.

I've been practicing several times a day moving back and forth between the E and A shape Barre chords. Getting my clumsy fingers to cleanly make the transition. I find 7 mins is ideal. I try to do it 5 times a day.

I always understood how Barre chords work. I just never made the connection between the root and IV chord or root and V chord on the same fret.

It's easier to think of it that way instead of identifying the chord names.
Your teacher never told you about Chuck Berry?

See if you can make the A barre with two fingers, index and ring. If you never tried that maybe that's why this seems so strange. It's hard to make rock and roll without that. Toggling I and IV is the basis for a lot of it. You can only toggle with the two fingered barre.