View Single Post
Old 11-16-2014, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickbacon View Post
But do you think the majority of listeners feel the same way?
The majority seem to believe Adnan is guilty. I'm not convinced by the majority opinion.

Quote:
Yes, but the important point is that contradicting evidence often leads you AWAY from the truth.
Is that some sort of codified rule of jurisprudence? I'm all for "best practices" to a certain point. But if evidence suggest I follow a road less traveled to see where it leads, why not explore it. If only to then be able to document that it lead nowhere.

Quote:
I don't think the detective said the case was weak. IIRC, he was unsure as to whether the narrative was sound. The Innocence Project opinion is fairly important, but remember we are talking largely about law students who primarily see a subset of cases. Some of this has to be treated in the same vein as the barber who recommends a haircut. Not to minimize their opinion too much, but there are plenty of people on the other side.
Which is no different than the police pursuing their ends for a "good narrative". I know everyone is driven by their own motives or training to some degree. I think this story, if nothing else, exposes that unfortunate reality quite clearly.

Quote:
What would that really tell us though? All of that is circumstantial evidence, and we have no circumstance that puts Hae with Jay at the crucial time that make any sense. We also have no known motive for Jay to kill Hae, and no way for Jay to move the car, etc. without help. Hae was killed in a narrow time frame in a very personal way. We know these two things if nothing else. It doesn't make much sense for a stranger or for Jay to commit the crime in that way during that time.
I think Jay has motive. Stephanie was the one indisputable great thing in Jay's life, according to his friend's accounts. We know that Hae threatened to expose to Stephanie that Jay was cheating on her. That might lead Jay to anger and to wanting to shut her up in a very personal way. Isn't manual strangulation the ultimate shut-the-fuck-up?

Quote:
The prosecution didn't argue Adnan was with the phone the entire time. He was killing Hae.
Or Jay was. While Adnan was off by himself smoking pot before track pratice. The moving of the car and burrying of the body could have been done later with Adnan's help or possibly Jen's.