View Single Post
Old 06-05-2019, 12:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSYoungEsq View Post
Look WHAT up?

You mean, like this? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Histor...e_Constitution

You might find the table of ratification votes instructive.
Wikipedia might be a good place to start. But it's hardly the final word on any subject.

I suggest Ratification: The People Debate the Constitution, 1787-1788 by Pauline Maier. There's also The Quartet: Orchestrating the Second American Revolution, 1783-1789 by Joseph Ellis, Slavery's Constitution: From Revolution to Ratification by David Waldstreicher, and Plain, Honest Men: The Making of the American Constitution by Richard Beeman. There's also Alexander Hamilton by Ron Chernow (I'll admit when I read this one, I totally missed its potential as a musical) and The Three Lives of James Madison: Genius, Partisan, President by Noah Feldman (cheating a bit here; I'm still in the middle of reading this one). And of course, there's the Federalist Papers and various Anti-Federalist works; a lot of them have been collected into a two-volume work titled The Debate on the Constitution.

There's some other works on the subject that look interesting: An Anti-Federalist Constitution: The Development of Dissent in the Ratification Debates by Michael Faber, Federalists and Antifederalists: The Debate Over the Ratification of the Constitution by John Kaminski and Richard Leffler, and The Writing and Ratification of the U.S. Constitution: Practical Virtue in Action by John Vile. But I haven't read these yet.