View Single Post
Old 06-28-2019, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherrerd View Post
Agreed, but we can be fairly certain that Mueller will decline to make any such declarative statements.

Even to get him to say in plain terms that Barr misrepresented the report will probably be impossible.

New parlor game: come up with wording for questions that will keep Mueller from uttering fuzzy, clause-heavy, qualification-laden sentences. (I'm not claiming to have any yet, but it's a project worth working on....)
There are certain things that you will never get him to say,
1) Whether or not Trump is guilty or would he have been indicted were he not president
2) Whether Barr lied about the report.
3) Should Trump be impeached

But you can get him to make statements that contradict Trump and Barr by asking leading yes/no follow up questions.
Q: Does the report exonerate Trump of obstruction of justice or conspiracy with the Russians?
A: if we had confidence after a thorough investigation of the facts that the President clearly did not commit obstruction of justice, we would so state.
Q: So since you did not so state it would be incorrect to say that your report exonerates Trump?

Also you need to remember that Mueller is not a hostile witness. I believe that Mueller really does want his report to be understood by the American people, and I think deep down he wants Congress to impeach Trump but he also wants to remain apolitical and feels its not his place to instruct congress as to what they should do. There are certain places he won't go, but he also won't try to evade questions that are just trying to illuminate clearly what is stated in the report.