View Single Post
Old 07-23-2019, 10:54 AM
SDSAB

I was disappointed in First Man, as I've posted before. Too often it felt like a better title would've been Neil Armstrong's Emotionally-Barren Marriage. But the portrayal of Aldrin wasn't too far off the mark, from all I've read.

My latest five:

Buckaroo Banzai
Rewatched this favorite of mine, a hip, very funny Eighties sf spoof with oddball characters (John Lithgow really should've gotten an Oscar for his scenery-chewing as Dr. Emilio Lizardo), an exuberantly silly plot and lots of throwaway gags.

Yesterday
A young British street musician has a bike accident and wakes up to find that he's the only man in the world who remembers the Beatles. Some nice moments, but not nearly as good as it could have been.

True Lies
Another favorite, with superspy Ahnuld taking on terrorists with nukes at the same time as he tries to save his marriage. A near-perfect blend of action, comedy and romance.

For All Mankind
Oscar-nominated documentary about the Apollo Program. Beautiful space imagery and narration by many of the NASA astronauts.

Hannibal
Grisly, chilling, pretty good but not perfect sequel to The Silence of the Lambs, with Special Agent Starling's FBI career in the dumps and Dr. Lecter hiding out in Florence, Italy. Julianne Moore does well in the Starling role, replacing Jody Foster, and Gary Oldman is unrecognizable but spooky as the Lecter-mutilated billionaire who really wants to catch him.