View Single Post
Old 08-04-2019, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuanoLad View Post
Standby for Gemini Man.
I just saw a long preview for this last night. I hadn’t heard of the movie before that, so I had nothing idea what I was looking at.

It falls into the uncanny valley.

My initial reaction was, “heck yeah, I want to see a sci-fi action flick directed by Ang Lee and starring Will Smith!”

After a little bit, I started wondering why the ‘other’ Will Smith looked so...wrong. I assumed it was regular Will Smith with his appearance altered with makeup, but there was something just so off about him. It gave me the heebie-jeebies. I actually thought to myself that I wanted to read an article about what they did with the makeup to make him look so odd, but I’d probably have to wait until the movie came out.

By the end, I knew I wasn’t going to see it, largely because ‘other’ Will Smith’s face was weirding me out so much.

I guess I found out why he looked so messed-up earlier than expected.

I’ve seen 2 other recent examples of a well-known actor being de-aged in a movie: Michael Douglas in Ant Man and Kurt Russell in Guardians of the Galaxy 2. In both cases the transformation was remarkable, and although it didn’t look completely authentic, it wasn’t creepy. But neither of those were cgi-only.