View Single Post
Old 08-12-2019, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dung Beetle View Post
Yesterday I read Conversion by Katherine Howe. It's about a mystery illness that strikes a group of girls at a school, interspersed with the confession of a girl who helped start the Salem witch panic. This book sucked me right in and I couldn't put it down! However, in the aftermath, I'm disappointed in how it finished up.
Have you read The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane? If so, how did you like it? I've had that book on my to read list for a long time, but I'm hesitant to pick it up because it has some bad reviews on Goodreads.

I finished two books over the weekend. The first was Anybody Out There by Marian Keyes. I enjoyed the book, which was no surprise since I like everything I've read by the author. She has this wonderful gift about creating a story out of a very distressing situation, and making that story hilarious, marvelously entertaining, and compulsively readable while still being true to the human condition -- showing the full range of difficult emotions that characters are going through and handling tough subjects with sensitivity.

Also read Born for Love: Why Empathy is Essential -- and Endangered by Bruce D. Perry and Maia Szalavitz. I have mixed feelings about this one. It had some intriguing insights into how the human brain works, particularly in reference to the concept of mirror neurons and the idea that empathy is actually (in part) instinctual and part of human biology. But I think I went into the book with my expectations set too high. I had recently read Perry's first book, The Boy Who Was Raised as a Dog, and was impressed at how elegantly the author struck a balance between engaging stories and informative research. Born for Love, in contrast, did not feel as cohesive. There were less stories to show how the research findings presented played out in real life. And you'd think if there were less stories, there would be more solid research in their place, but nope. There was just more repetition. The book felt longer than it needed to be in places, and the concluding chapter was riddled with editorial mistakes. I'm still glad I read the book, just saying it absolutely was not up to par with the quality of his first book.