View Single Post
Old 08-12-2019, 05:55 PM

Like SCR4 and Zonex, I suspect your problem stems from:
- both phones being on speakerphone (speakerphones are inherently half-duplex), and
- background noise causing both phones to think the person in the car is speaking.

When both of these things happen at once, neither person can hear the other. Both speakerphones can either transmit sound or play it back, but not both at once. When both are transmitting sound simultaneously, neither is receiving any sound.

Ideally, one or both of you would wear a headset, enabling at least one end of the conversation to be full-duplex. That way, at least one of you will hear the other regardless of background noise.

If you try what Zonex suggests—calling each other on your Bluetooth speakerphones with both cars at rest and with their engines off—and things improve, then double-half-duplex communication is the most likely suspect.

Personally, it annoys me to be put on speakerphone, especially without asking. It means I can’t assume that our conversation is private, but mostly, half-duplex audio sucks in a big way. The person who put me on speakerphone can hear me reasonably well, since I’m on a full-duplex device (my handset or a headset). Meanwhile, my audio quality takes a nosedive to the point where the other person is often difficult to understand. And any background noise on the other end interrupts what I’m saying without my realizing it, causing random gaps in my speech.

In my experience, many people put others on speakerphone without realizing that they’re making it much harder to communicate. I’ve been put on speakerphone only to have the person who did so comment on how terrible our connection suddenly became—and this has happened when I’ve called on land lines as well as my mobile phone.

ETA: This annoying feature of half-duplex voice communication is why radio operators say “over.” The idea is to convey “I’ve stopped transmitting and shall now wait for your response.”

Last edited by EdelweissPirate; 08-12-2019 at 05:57 PM. Reason: Over and out