View Single Post
Old 08-13-2019, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
I, for one, am baffled that book awards would be separated out based on the kind of binding they were published with. If a book is later re-published with the other sort of binding, does it become eligible for the other category?
Me, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thudlow Boink View Post
Isn't it kind of like the Oscars (et al) distinguishing between theatrical releases, TV movies, and straight-to-video releases?
The experience of watching a live production is very different from that of watching a recording. The difference between the big screen and "home theater" is a lot less than it used to be, with larger TV screens, smaller movie screens, and more comparable budgets for the two media, but it's still different, and people create different types of content for the two.

The experience of reading a hardcover book, a paperback, and the same story on an e-reader is very similar. I'm surprised to here there are different categories for paperbacks and hardcovers. I suppose historically publishers would have picked different kinds of books for the two bindings. And I suppose for picture books and graphic novels, it's different. (e-readers suck). But for "best novel" or "best mystery" or "best sci fi short story" I am shocked to learn anyone cares about the binding.