View Single Post
Old 08-15-2019, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalMeacham View Post
If you want to discuss this further, we can take it elsewhere, because I don't want to derail this thread....
Ditto. This will be my last post on this hijack in this thread.

Quote:
The Krel door doesn't simply melt.... That door decomposes, in layers....
Agreed 100%.

Quote:
Again, look at Kronos. He doesn't just explode, or melt....he decomposes in stages. The outer layer of that half-dome on top melts and slides off. Striations appear across the surface of Kronos' body.
Kronos does not decompose. The outer layer of the dome melts and slides off - an effect that looks nothing like the Krel door - then Kronos explodes. At no time do bits and pieces of him flake off like the Krel door.

Both efx involve metal overheating, a well-known phenomena where the color changes as the temperature increases, ultimately leading to decomposition in layers. The last part does not happen in Kronos.

Quote:
Those shots looking up at the vastness of his boxy metal body, in other hands, would be boring to look at -- it's just a Big Box, after all.
This part is unrelated to the discussion we are having, but I thought it interesting that there are a couple low angle shots of Kronos at the climax that look remarkably like the monolith in 2001. Pretty much anything can be made to look (more) interesting with the right angle and lighting.

FP was an MGM production. They had an in-house efx unit supervised by A. Arnold Gillespie (who served under Cedric Gibbons). I have no idea how much work Mr. Block did on the production design, but the fact he was uncredited for it suggests it may not have been much or not much of it was actually used. With the conspicuous exception of Joshua Meador - borrowed from Disney to animate the Id Monster - my recollection is that the visual efx of FP were done in-house. But I could be wrong.