View Single Post
Old 08-16-2019, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWMarch View Post
I know this is the traditional perspective on how The Day of the Rangers went down but considering that the Somalis went back to what was left of their homes with about 4,000 casualties, I'd say it was an absolute curb stomping by the US forces. I have said it before and I will say it again: they didn't lose, they left. As I recall from the book, Super Six Four pilot Michael Durant was returned intact after a general explained to the Somalis that if he was not returned in pristine condition with the quickness, not a single stone would stand upon another stone in Mogadishu. Black Hawk Down tells the story of how these soldiers were caught off guard and under-prepared and still handed the whole city its ass. Hence why the locals don't refer to it as "the day we beat the Rangers".
This is such jingoistic nonsense. They left while shooting behind them, you know, like during a retreat. I would love to know where the 4,000 casualties figure came from I can find nothing close to that. How many were civilians, the shooting began in a crowded market. The Americans instigated the attack so are responsible for the loss of innocent life. Les Aspin the Sec of Def stepped down because of this. It changed the course of US foreign policy in Africa for a decade. Letís say the Durant story is true, what kind of John Wayne bombastic nonsense is that? Americans leveling a city is a win for SNA. If this operation WAS so much win, why not do it again and again right after?

Heroism can be found in defeat, Dunkirk is a great example of that. Black Hawk Down qualifies here.