View Single Post
Old 09-10-2019, 09:17 PM
Agnatheist
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickSilver View Post
So what? Lots of philosophies are proven wrong over time. Because societies change. Ideas evolve. How long should we cling to anachronistic philosophies for nostalgic reasons?
We shouldn't cling at all. If it REALLY is an anachronistic philosophy that is out of step with society as a whole, we should change it or get rid of it. Happily, the folks who wrote the thing gave us a mechanism to do that. All you need is to convince the majority of voting citizens that it is as you say, and anachronism, and that we should modify or, better yet, get rid of it. I have zero problem with folks doing that.

The real issue, however, is that isn't what has happened or what is happening...as we can see in the threads on this subject on this board. Rarely do I see someone who wants to get rid of the 2nd say let's use the system as it was intended to get rid of that sucker because the public certainly wants it that way. And we all know exactly why that is...because, it's not actually a popular stance that the majority, or even a really large minority of the US public holds. Which means that, in reality, it's not an anachronism at all...at least not yet. I think as a society we are moving in that way, and, again, I have no problem with folks on your side pushing for that, in trying to change the publics perception or stance. I have a big problem with trying to do this all by fiat, however...which is the reality of how the anti-gun folks have worked. Change the meaning, then you don't have to do all that pesky work or actually ensure that the public DOES think they don't need or want such a protected right anymore.

That's what happens when you let rednecks play with anti-matter!