View Single Post
Old 07-25-2019, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scylla View Post
This is not really an issue. Farrier used to be a big thing when the world ran on horse. Progress means that their is always a transition from obsolete jobs to new industry. The job market is basically the best ever. Full employment is generally considered to exist around 6-7%. We are half that. That data tells us that people are in fact transitioning very well. You can look at the data and see that construction and manufacturing, and transportation and manufacturing are all adding jobs. You can look at the government website directly or go here:

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...ass-of-worker/
See, economics 101, it's not worth $49 a month to me to access that.
Quote:
And see that we are beyond full employment in ALL worker categories.

Absolutely. I just want them to be documented and to pay taxes,
As do I, funny thing is, most of those who are not documented still pay taxes.
Quote:
and go through the process so we get the right people.
Ah, the right people. Personally, to me, the right people are people that want to come here and make a better life for themselves and their family. What is your definition of "the right people"?
Quote:
I think it’s obvious we need more immigration.
Well, the president that you say that you support feels the opposite of that.
Quote:
You’re really not, and I haven’t. This whole plight of the unemployed thing is not borne out by the facts.
I feel that I most certainly have. I have done no emotional pleading. I do, OTOH, feel that complaining that having to pay to support those less fortunate is a very emotional argument.

It's not just the unemployed, which, whether you believe it or not, really do exist. There are also the underemployed, those making less than a living wage. Then there is the coming crisis of automation that will make more and more low skilled jobs unavailable. We not only need to worry about what happens to the people who are currently displaced by technology, but make plans for those who will be displaced in the future.

Sure, in the long run, things will settle out. We don't see any unemployed buggy whip makers collecting unemployment anymore, but, a quote I'm sure you know well, is that, "in the long run, we are all dead."
Quote:

I ask the question because your comment did not seem to reach to the level where it was cognizant of supply versus demand. I asked politely and in the form of a question.
No, I understand supply and demand just fine, I just do not see the labor market as being simple enough to put onto a 2 dimensional supply demand graph.
Quote:
I would be happy to go in depth with you, but frankly, I think you need to start with a 101 refresher.
I'd be happy to go into depth too, if you could lay off the insults.
Quote:

Historically, they do move, once things get bad enough. Sometimes the new jobs come to them.
"Once things get bad enough..." exactly.
Quote:
You are acting is if there is this great problem in this country right now where we have lots of our work people stuck in one place, unwilling or unable to find new jobs.
This is an issue that does need to be addressed, yes. Unemployment and underemployement are things that we should actually b concerned about.
Quote:
The fact of the matter is that this has never ever in our history as a country been less of a thing than it is now.

It is so NOT a problem, that that fact itself is actually a problem.

Things need to be really bad in certain segments of the country or specific industries to push people to move or to upgrade their skills so that there are qualified workers available in industries and areas that need them.
So, you are saying that people need to suffer before some of those suffering can alleviate some of it?
Quote:
That is exactly what is meant by the concept of full employment, which is the theoretical optimum employment rate that still invents transition to growth.
Are you for or against govt assistance in retraining and relocation?

Last edited by k9bfriender; 07-25-2019 at 06:19 PM.