View Single Post
Old 11-26-2019, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derleth View Post
It's a recruitment tool in another way:

If They are lying to you about this important piece of history, what else are They lying to you about? Why are They lying to you at all? Who is this They I'm talking about?

Secret knowledge is a big bait. It makes people feel important, knowing something most people don't. That's why Life Hacks spread so well, even the ones which are patently absurd if you ever actually tried them: They're little things I know that you don't, which puts me one up on you, innit? Well, imagine that, except for a big chunk of human history.

All of a sudden the whole damn world has been debunked. Up is down, black is white, and you have part of the biggest secret in the whole world. Some people will kill for stuff like that. Some people will die for it. People have died for it, if you consider cults to be one aspect of this: "I know the path to eternal happiness, and it happens to go through drinking poisoned soft drinks, possibly after mutilating my sexual organs."

Once you have someone hooked like that, you can feed them increasingly absurd shit which happens to line up with them continuing to follow you.
As Voltaire put it, "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".
Lying big is a way to gain fanatics to a cause, whether it's done serendipitously or by cold, calculated design.