View Single Post
Old 05-22-2015, 08:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bricker View Post
This cute differs in two important respects from your original claim, which I will reproduce here as a reminder.

Here are the two:

(1) It's a fallacy to impute to a "follower," each and every position of the person or group he follows. I, for example, am Roman Catholic, but I don't support each and every position the Church offers up for public consumption. So your cite purports to show what Gothard advises or teaches, not what JimBob and Michelle believe.

(2) With respect to what JimBob and Michelle have said, I agree such statements can be used to shows what they believe....but their statement doesn't seem to be about sexual assault. It's a more general statement about the advisability of modest dress. Sexual assault is not about sexual desire; it's about power. They could certainly believe that modest dress for women is desirable and at the same time not condemn victims of sexual assault for being at fault.

Do you have any cite for the claim you made, or not"
I don't know exactly what you're looking for here. Michelle and Jim Bob live their lives by Gothard rules. What he says is law to them. What he believes, they believe.