View Single Post
Old 11-15-2018, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post
Contrary to what many assume, I think some people run for President, at least in part, out of a sense of duty. Sure it's thrilling to sit in the big chair, but if Biden runs it won't be for the thrill. It will be out of fear that no one else can beat Trump. Same goes for Hillary, though this cycle her sense of duty will tell her NOT to run.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Beginning with FDR, almost every single President elected has been either an incumbent Prez or Vice Prez or a national figure of great charisma long before the election. (Truman, LBJ, Nixon, and Bush-41 had served as V.P. so are omitted from the following list):
  • Franklin D. Roosevelt Governor of the largest state; had acquired national recognition by running for Vice Pres. in 1920.
  • Dwight D. Eisenhower Among other positions, he had been Supreme Commander for the liberation of Western Europe. Truman had offered him the job of POTUS four years earlier.
  • John F. Kennedy a very charismatic Senator and war hero. In 1956 he finished 2nd in the balloting for Vice Pres. at the DNC.
  • Jimmy Carter Governor of a largish state, noted for his support of civil rights; projected unusually strong integrity.
  • Ronald Reagan big state Governor, very popular nationwide; had run for President as early as 1968.
  • Bill Clinton Governor with successful programs, had served as chairman of the National Governors Association, and chairman of the Democratic Leadership Council; gave the opening-night speech at 1988 DNC.
  • George W. Bush, Donald J. Trump both had strong name recognition nation-wide but are unworthy of further discussion: the 21st-century GOP is happy to run mediocrities.
  • Barack Obama very charismatic Senator (nominated by an unprecedented margin) who helped drive significant legislation; delivered an "electrifying" keynote address at the 2004 DNC. Here's a newspaper article from 1990 quoting one colleague: "I thought, 'This guy sounds like he's president of the country already;' I've never met anyone who could leave that impression after only five minutes."
With few exceptions, everyone on this list was a superstar of great achievement and/or charisma.

But how about the present crop? Does Gillibrand belong on this list? In the debate I linked to yesterday, she was not a top speaker her opponent probably "won" the debate. She'll be easy to brand as a "flip-flopper." (In the debate she solemnly promised to serve 6 more years in the Senate. Just a few weeks later she practically told Stephen Colbert she was running for President.) To compare her with an Obama or even a Carter is laughable.

But I'm not trying to pick on Gillibrand. I don't see any strong candidate.
That's because you haven't seen anybody yet. It hasn't started yet. We're in a fairly unique position in history, where there will be a lot of people who wouldn't have otherwise considered running for president taking a serious look at the brass ring, simply because of the abomination currently sleeping in the WH. There's gonna be a grand buffet of candidates, I reckon, stepping up to the big stage. No one's going to hang back this time because a Hillary-type is there to be crowned.

One reason the Democrats did as well as they did up and down the ballot last week is because there were really good candidates up and down ballot. That means really good people were stepping up to get this done. Do you see any reason to believe that sort of thing will suddenly stop at the presidential level?

Now I'm not saying that the Democrats are a shoe-in in 2020, but there's absolutely no reason to be despondent because you don't currently know who the 2020 Democratic presidential nominee will be.

Resume doesn't matter much any more. Name recognition doesn't matter much right now. What matters is who can capture the public's attention and dollars once this thing starts rolling. You simply can't know who that will be at this stage. So of course you don't see any strong candidate. But you will.