View Single Post
Old 07-31-2019, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrenching Spanners View Post
Letís take a step away from the OP, and assume Neighbourhoods A and B are equal. Likewise their schools are equal: same budgets, same number of students and teachers, same level of parent involvement, etc. In year one of our hypothetical, because of all this equality, the schools have equal results.

After year one, the parents in Neighbourhood A decide they want to improve their childrenís education. They increase their parental involvement, and sure enough it works. In year two, School A has better results than School B. Your proposal is to rebalance the schools.
The dilemma remains. Personal responsibility and egalitarianism are conflicting doctrines.

I identify as conservative but I take a middle path here. I say there is a threshold, a minimum quality education that all students are entitled to. Children are entitled to a "good" education, not an "equal" education. I believe in nondiscrimination, not necessarily equal results.

If Neighborhood school B doesn't meet that minimum, I don't care how hard Neighborhood A worked to make themselves better, we are diverting funds to school B. A basic education is important. The long term societal benefit of meeting that minimum outweighs the cost of keeping Neighborhood A down.

That doesn't necessarily mean I would rebalance the schools in the scenario you have written. It would depend on whether Neighborhood school B provides a minimum quality education each year. If Neighborhood school B meets the baseline, I won't complain about further inequality but will respond to complaints by pointing at Neighborhood A as a model. "Look at what they're doing, you could be doing that".

~Max