View Single Post
Old 09-03-2019, 09:55 AM

I thought Pathfinder 2E did a lot of interesting things, like the action economy and spellcasting (effectively, you have 3 action points every round, some actions take more than one action point, many spells become more powerful as you invest more action points into casting them). But, while character creation is definitely simplified and streamlined from Pathfinder 1E, actual game-play in PF2E looks at least as complex.

The thing is, I can't figure out who this game is aimed at. A ton of players jumped ship from D&D 4E to Pathfinder, because they loved 3E, and Pathfinder was just a revised and streamlined 3E, or because 4E was just too much of a radical re-design, and they wanted something closer to the Old School core. Then 5E came out, which was much simpler and more accessible than 3E/Pathfinder, while still seeming like actual D&D to older players, unlike 4E. Quite a few players jumped from Pathfinder to 5E.

Then Pathfinder 2E came out and...it's quite different from 3E, but it's still pretty complex, and while it doesn't stray as far from the Old School core as 4E did, it's much further from that core than either 5E or Pathfinder 1E.

So, if you still love 3E but just don't want to deal with all of the bloat that accumulated in Pathfinder, this isn't the game for you. If you want something crunchier and more complex than 5E that still remains firmly embedded in the Old School core, this isn't the game for you. If you want something significantly simpler than 3E/Pathfinder, this isn't the game for you. It just seems like it's going to drive away 3E adherents without attracting many new players.

I guess, if you want something that still has strong D&D themes and elements, but with a much crunchier play-style than 5E, but not as far from the Old School core as 4E, and without all of the bloat of PF1E (for now, anyway), maybe this is the game for you. It just seems like such a small niche, and Pathfinder had become so huge, it just looks like a step backwards to me, in terms of market appeal.

We'll see, though. Maybe the Adventure Paths (which is what put Paizo on the map in the first place) will be popular enough, and Pathfinder Society organized play will remain robust enough, and the innovative mechanics appealing enough, that they'll be able to hold onto enough current players and attract enough new ones to maintain the game.