View Single Post
Old 08-17-2019, 01:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuelA View Post
How to bypass: Anyone with a readily available printer can make a plastic card that resembles a driver's license. Professional ID forgers can make it match exactly and of course put the photo of the person getting the card made on it. The social security card is a chintzy paper card that is even more trivial to copy.
Also How to bypass: have the employer be part of it. They can either pay you under the table or find some other workaround. Keep in mind, even with false credentials, they're not stupid, but everything has to be good enough to give them plausible deniability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odesio View Post
This might be burdensome to smaller businesses. Perhaps requiring all employers with 50 or more employees to use E-Verify might be a bit more practical.
We [employers] already have to collect their ID and eligibility info, verify that nothing appears off, copy down the info (and photocopy in some cases) and then [again, the employer] has to sign the I9 form stating that everything is correct. Sticking that info into a free, online service, shouldn't be a big deal. In fact, we already have to report new hires (electronically, typically) to the state. It seems like it wouldn't be too difficult to combine that into one website. Either that the state passes along the info to e-verify, or New Hire reporting could be done on a federal level, instead of state by state, and it could all be part of the e-verify site.

I've never given that much thought so I don't know if it's plausible. In any case, there's plenty to do for new hires. I can't imagine adding e-verify to the process could take more than a minute or two.

Having said that, I'm for e-verify. I don't use it at my work currently, but I'd have no problem doing it and certainly wouldn't fight it if it became mandatory.
I suppose it could make the people working illegally just do a better job of covering their tracks, but it may also make some of those people work towards becoming eligible.
I also don't mind the idea of taking, at least some of, the responsibility of deciding if someone can legally work off the shoulders of the employers and putting it where it belongs, with the government.

I do agree with the premise, if you want to keep people out, it's not about the wall. Make finding work more difficult. If you punish employers enough that they don't find the risk provides enough reward, they'll stop hiring people that aren't eligible.

Something else that I'm guessing a lot of people don't realize, but l0k1 touched upon it upthread and I mentioned it in the other thread. A new employee fills out the first half of the I-9, they bring it to the employer along with their documents and the employer fills out and signs the second half of the I-9. Then the employer takes that I-9 and files it away. It doesn't get faxed or emailed or electronically submitted to anyone. We don't use the info to fill out an online form, nothing. Nothing ever happens with it, the next time it gets touched is likely when the employee no longer works there and it gets moved to a different filing cabinet.
That, IMO, is a big reason why this is so easy. There's no (gov) oversight.