View Single Post
Old 08-17-2019, 02:53 PM

I know you asked for conservatives, but on this topic, I think I am probably to the right of quite a bit of the board.

E-verify needs to be improved dramatically first.

Right now, it doesn't really do much. It doesn't check to tell if the documents presented belong to the person presenting them. It doesn't tell if they are real or if they are fake. All it does is tells whether or not a particular taxpayer ID (typically SS #) is being used suspiciously. It will allow a large number of unauthorized workers to fall through the cracks.

As far as false positives, that creates a headache for employer and employee. I've never been flagged, but when I worked for a utility company, one of the guys that got hired with me got flagged. They straightened it out eventually, but he was on basic office duty while the rest of us were in training. I was out of training and making another $2.50 an hour before he started training, about 6 weeks. So, E-verify cost the employee $2.50 an hour times 40 hours times 6 weeks, or about $600, not including overtime, and it cost the company a few weeks of paying him while he was being very unproductive. It was something that happened somewhat frequently, so they had makework for people appealing E-verify, but it was still a hassle.

That was the only company that I worked for with e-verify (that I know of), which is good, as I did a lot of job hopping in my 20's. There were many years where I would have 6 or more jobs in that year, sometimes with 3 or more being concurrent. I'm sure if they had e-verify, I'd have been flagged a few times.

If I ran e-verify at my place, then I would have to accept that occasionally I would get an employee that I could not legally fire for failing e-verify, but couldn't really invest training in either, in case it comes back that it was a true positive. That could be very costly.

As for the time involved, sure, it's not a whole bunch, but it's just one more burden that you are placing on businesses. To say it doesn't cost anything is to say my time is worthless.

The only way for it to work well would be to collect biometric data on all authorized workers in the US. Is that something that the conservatives on this board would be able to endorse?
Tell you what, make e-verify mandatory, but have exceptions for small businesses (defined as having fewer than 20ish employees, revenues of 1-2 million, or no single person having more than $150,000 in personal income).