View Single Post
Old 08-17-2019, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuelA View Post
Umm, how? Could we discuss in more details how burdensome it is to enter a person's documents into a website. Well, you need a computer and internet access. And how long do you think per employee. 15 minutes? An hour?

How big a burden are you anticipating?
You'd effectively be telling the Old Order Mennonites, the Amish, and other Plain People that they aren't allowed to hire anybody.

Looks like a pretty sizeable burden to me.

And there are a lot of other people who have very limited Internet access, even if they want it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalmanese View Post
The fundamental thing you need to understand about the American immigration policy, as it has been implemented for decades, is that it's not designed to keep illegal immigrants *out* of the country, it's designed to keep them *in* the country but with no rights so they can be used as a source of cheaper labor.
This.

If the undocumented labor force all disappeared, the rest of the country would be left with a really huge mess.

But all attempts to set up a process for legal work documentation that would actually cover the number of people needed in the number of jobs that we need them for get blocked in Congress. Let alone any attempt to allow people working in the USA for years on end to -- gasp -- live with their families!

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9bfriender View Post
That's complicated. You are essentially doing facial recognition on all new hires in the entire country. First you have to gather and store that info for your database, then every single time that I get another job, you have to send my data in to be verified again.

Not that it cannot be done, but it'll be complicated and expensive and there may be those who feel that it is an invasion of their privacy.
Current facial recognition technology is also far from perfect. And it works less well if used on people who happen not to be white.