View Single Post
Old 04-23-2019, 09:14 PM

Guitar adjacent post

On a whim, as I was killing time before an appointment in Guitar Center, I bought a little mixer. A Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 (2 in 2 out) that comes bundled with a bunch of software.

I have no idea how to use any of it. So far I have registered my product and downloaded the requisite drivers as well as the majority of the bundled stuff, but I haven't installed any of it. The bundle comes with Pro Tools First, another production suite called Ableton Live Lite, bass samples, drum samples, a production program for creating loops, a suite of compressors, reverb and EQs, as well as a mastering app and a Addictive Keys product. I didn't snag the last two because I didn't feel like setting up two more accounts tonight.

So basically, I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with either the unit I bought or any of the software that came bundled with it. Any tips, advice, reviews would be appreciated. I'm not looking to make Sgt. Pepper but I'd like to put down demos and use it to get song ideas down to work on and that sort of thing.

My shortcomings right now, beyond ignorance, is that I only have electric guitars here right now. I can plug right in and record that but if I want to use my amps or record my acoustic or vocals, I'll need to borrow a mic - which I suppose should be easy enough. I also have a Casio keyboard that I suppose I could make work some how. What I don't have that I desperately need is speakers. Studio monitors with 1/4 inputs to go with the mixer. My only option right now is ear-buds in the headphone jack and that won't do.