View Single Post
Old 05-14-2019, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by you with the face View Post
“Toxically male” is not what “toxic masculinity” means. Male and masculinity don’t equate to the same thing. To make the inference you’re drawing, you have to ignore the context in which it’s used and the literal meaning of words.
The words don't mean the same thing, true. And the difference between their meanings is exactly the point I am making:

The literal meaning of the word "masculinity" is not what is actually "male" but what is accepted as the stereotype of being male, those things that we define are appropriate to being a man, that we expect a man to be.

One has to ignore the literal meaning of the word and the context to pretend that one is not accepting and affirming the stereotype that aggressiveness, toughness, strength, etc. are is appropriate and expected of a man to be "a man" and that conversely a male without those things is less of a man if not effeminate.

So monstro I do not deny that there are traits are the stereotype of what a man is and that society would define a male without those things as not much of a man as a a cultural construct.

I argue that the terms "toxic masculinity" and "hypermasculinity" reinforce those stereotypes as the cultural construct. Part of the problem is considering and messaging a women watching sci-fi, to use just one of your examples, as a man's thing (a masculine trait) and housework (domestic divinity, your other side) is a womanly thing (a feminine trait).

Saying that men should have and be comfortable with more feminine traits, and be less manly because that is toxic, and that women should have and be comfortable with more masculine traits, be less feminine ... is, IMHO, not useful or helpful in addressing the issue, which is the sexist stereotypes themselves.