View Single Post
Old 06-03-2019, 01:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9bfriender View Post
Would it make more sense, rather than abolish one house of the legislature, to add in a new one?

Make it more of a direct democracy, at large across the nation, one adult citizen, one vote. Set up a proxy system so that you can represent multiple voters who agree with your views, and if you have enough proxies, you get an office at the Capitol. Proxies can be withdrawn at any time for any reason, and all voters would be aware of how their proxy is going to vote before that vote is cast.

Give the new branch the power to vote on any bill that is passed by either original branch, where two branches passing it sends it to the president's desk, and allow it to vote to force other branches to bring a bill or nominee to a vote. Don't give it the power to tax or originate bills.

It would prevent some of the pitfalls of direct democracy, but still help to make sure that the population is heard.

It would take the same effort as any other structural changes to the govt, but seems a fairer compromise that could, IMHO, get more support than making changes to the senate as is.
I don't know how, or how well, or whether, something like this would work; but your ideas are intriguing to me, and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.