View Single Post
Old 08-28-2019, 12:03 PM

Chicago-style dogs with the works, including hot peppers and pickle spears, at a place in the shadow of the Sears tower (I kept waiting to hear "Cheeseburger, cheeseburger, cheeseburger!"), and from a vendor on Bourbon Street in New Orleans on my 30th birthday.

The summer before I went back to college, I had a job as a temp clerk in a hospital, where I consumed mass quantities of coffee all day. After I got off work, I'd walk the two miles to the nearest Target, where I'd have a bacon cheeseburger, french fries, cole slaw, a bowl of chili with crackers, and a large cherry Coke. But every now and then, for the sake of variety, I'd have jumbo hot dogs instead of the burger. I got to know the guy behind the counter, and he'd butter and grill the buns for me.

Back in the '90s, Taco Bell opened stands that sold hot dogs and burritos in the Moscow metro. I bought a lot of those on my way to and from work. My hot dogs would always be loaded with ketchup and neon-green relish.

It's amazing such things could be so important to you that you remember them fondly decades later.

At home nowadays, I sometimes make chili cheese dogs: all-beef jumbos inside grilled buttered buns, topped with homemade Cincinnatti-style chili, chopped onions, grated Cheddar, and yellow mustard. Yum!