View Single Post
Old 10-14-2019, 10:49 AM

I'm from the U.S. and I've come to enjoy rugby more and more the last couple of years (the formation of MLR has been a HUGE help in that regard; doesn't hurt that my local team has won both championships so far). Its appeal to me is that it's got the "physicality" of American football but without all the breaks and it's (mostly) got the flow of soccer but without the feigning of injury and time-wasting. I have found so many of the comments in this thread to be enlightening. Thank you very much! I was in Panama for a good chunk of the tournament so I've missed a lot (plus, as previously noted, the coverage of the tournament in the U.S. isn't what it is in places like the U.K., Australia, and N.Z.) but I look forward to the QFs. After JAP - SCO the other day I heard a couple of things that I haven't yet seen mentioned in this thread:

1) that JAP beat South Africa in the tournament 4 years ago in what was considered, at the time, to be "the biggest upset in their rugby history." Can they do it again in the knockout stage on home ground?

2) that IRE just *might* be N.Z.'s "bogey team" as they've beaten them two straight (I'm not sure if that was "two straight, period" or "two straight times in RWCs").

From previous comments it doesn't seem that folks are giving IRE much chance of the upset but with the All Blacks having won the last two RWCs is there a possibility that they simply won't be as "hungry" this time and therefore more "ripe" for an upset?

I have "no dog (left) in the fight" so I don't really care who wins, but am I right in guessing that the Northern Hemisphere teams and their fans would rather not see a Southern Hemisphere team win it and vice versa?