View Single Post
Old 10-14-2019, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Cat View Post
In general we hate Argentina, yes. We have not forgotten not forgiven the Falklands War, the 1986 football World Cup (Maradona, Argentina's star player, blatantly cheated to score the goal that ultimately proved to knock England out), and more recently the disgraceful treatment of a British television crew (by admittedly a very small minority of the population). Not to mention their perennial status as an economic basket case. I'm quite happy to let that spill over into rugby, the only other sport in which there are high-profile matches between the two countries. I'm sure the majority of Argentinians are wonderful people, but sport is partisan, so what are you going to do?
I'm no fan of the Argentine national soccer team, either. There are several reasons for that which I won't go into right now. Suffice it to say that just about ANY time La Albiceleste is playing, I hope it loses. So my English friend and I are certainly in agreement on that! (although I have nothing against the Argentine national rugby team ["Los Pumas"])

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Cat View Post
I personally don't hate Scottish sportsmen/teams
Being from the U.S. I've never had anything against the Scots and in fact I'd love to visit Scotland but I've never been impressed with their national soccer team. Perhaps if I'd been born a few years earlier I would have been but since the time I first started following international soccer (the 1982 W.C.) the Scottish team, in my opinion, simply hasn't been very good. (I haven't been following rugby long enough to have formed an opinion about their national rugby team)

Last edited by racepug; 10-14-2019 at 03:35 PM.