View Single Post
Old 06-10-2019, 08:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drad dog View Post
I enjoyed that one a lot. It seemed to hit all the good jokes in that scenario, and I wasn't actually sure I knew how it was going to end. It seemed good satire and not a cliche, having everyone rating each other constantly. I laughed out loud. Of course we have seen something of this type of episode before, but not in this reality. I haven't begun to be that critical of the show yet. I'm just glad that a show is covering this aspect of life. The last 3 years have seen reality far outpacing and outstripping any art we have, in terms of our social systems. To me this show is addressing the imbalance a little.

I do recall though on watching it that the brother character was the moral center of the show. If he wasn't in it, it might not have been possible to make it. And yet he is part of the system too, at a low 3.
Clearly that episode is really, really popular. And it works, because so many people respond to it. I didn't dislike it, but I thought it could have been done a bit better--for my tastes. And I admit, that's just my tastes. I kind of felt the same way with "Fifteen Million Merits." About halfway through I was like, yeah, yeah, I get the point, now what, and it just didn't seem to add anything fresh or cleverly subtle after it was clear what critique was established.

I mean, don't get me wrong--I still end up thinking about every episode after I see it, which is much more than I could say for most television I watch. And a portion of that time, the thought is about why the episode didn't quite do it for me, but it still makes me explore why I feel the way I feel about the episode, instead of just not giving a shit at all.