View Single Post
Old 06-10-2019, 08:58 PM

...here is the original planned ending for Jordan Peele's "Get Out."

(Spoilers-not spoilers, if that makes any sense, just don't watch if you haven't already seen the movie)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3JS7_OcPWQ

And here is Jordan Peele on why he changed the ending.

http://collider.com/get-out-alternate-ending/

SPOILER:
In the beginning when I was first making this movie the idea was, ‘OK, we’re in this post-racial world, apparently. That was the whole idea. People were saying, ‘We’ve got Obama so racism is over, let’s not talk about it.’ That’s what the movie was meant to address. Like look, you recognize this interaction. These are all clues, if you don’t already know, that racism isn’t over. […] So the ending in that era was meant to say, look, ‘You think race isn’t an issue? Well at the end, we all know this is how this movie would end right here.’

It was very clear that the ending needed to transform into something that gives us a hero, that gives us an escape, gives us a positive feeling when we leave this movie. […] There’s nothing more satisfying than seeing the audience go crazy when Rod shows up.

Another series that evolved was The Leftovers. Damon Lindelof talks about how he was severely depressed while writing series one. Lindelof partly attributes the tonal shift in season two and three to being able to work though some of those issues.

Things change. Writers change. Mediums change. The world has changed. The Charlie Brooker that wrote the first episode of Black Mirror was in a very different place than the Charlie Brooker who wrote 'Me, You, and Ashley Too'. Early Black Mirror predicted a dystopian nightmare: many of us are now living in a dystopian nightmare.

I can't bring myself to watch early episodes of Black Mirror. But thats okay. I love how the series has evolved, but that doesn't mean there was anything wrong with how it all began. We can't expect the creators at the top-of-their-game to churn out the same thing over-and-over again. That just isn't how the creative process works. Unlike a series like "The Twilight Zone" where with "a writers' room and completed concepts, outlines", this is the work of a single writer, and we go where-ever he decides to go. And if that means we get an episode with Miley Cyrus starring as Miley Cyrus that turns into a cheesy heist episode of Hannah Montana then thats fine with me.