View Single Post
Old 08-20-2019, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shodan View Post
"Personal responsibility" means I am personally responsible for the things I personally did. Feeling responsible for things I didn't do may or may not be a good thing, but it isn't the same thing.

And it goes both ways. I am responsible for the things I do wrong, as well as the things I do right.

Obviously it's not 100% - maybe society is partly to blame if I rob a liquor store, just like it is partly the reason that I graduated at the top of my class at West Point. But by default, the locus of responsibility is me, not anybody else.

Your example of feeling responsible for the racist town you didn't found or participate in isn't "personal responsibility" in that sense - it's altruism, which is a fine but not synonymous thing.

Regards,
Shodan
If there is a social injustice or unjust history from which you derive unsought, unasked for benefit. Do you have a responsibility to do anything?

I don't think you personally have oppressed anyone but you still benefit from the oppression of others. how do you reconcile that?