Thread: Subnautica
View Single Post
Old 02-01-2019, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by And his buzzer goes ... View Post
I'm tempted to get it as the first one had a really great atmosphere and gameplay. It was not perfect by any means, but it wasn't premium price either.
I think it's actually pretty close to perfect. Which isn't to say it's the best game of all time or anything, but what it sets out to do it does so well. There are almost no things about the game I would change, few nits to pick. It strikes just the right balance between exploration, gathering, crafting, etc.

It never makes you grind for anything - sure, you need to gather pieces, but it never feels like you're sitting there grinding pieces in the way that other survival games do. It comes naturally with exploration. The scenery is fantastic, the creatures are unique and interesting, it mixes wonder and terror well. The story is good and it moves you along at your own pace in a really organic way. It's not punishing for mistakes - like if you construct your base the wrong way you can just de-construct it and redo it with no penalty. I guess, if anything, with the lack of real death penalty and ease of undoing stuff, it might not be punishing enough. But the game manages to generate terror organically through fear of dark scary sea places rather than through threat of a death punishment. The balance between swimming/seaglide/seamoth/cyclops/prawn suit is just right. The progression feels right.

I just got it for free from the epic promo and started playing a few weeks ago, and it's been a while since I've played a single player game this much.

Last edited by SenorBeef; 02-01-2019 at 08:42 AM.