Thread: Subnautica
View Single Post
Old 02-05-2019, 12:47 AM

Ok, as good as I thought this game was, it's even better. Holy crap! Spoilering my whole post because you really need to play through this game the first time as unspoiled as possible.

SPOILER:

Every time I discover a new no one I am seriously blown away. When I was starting out and first exploring the kelp forest, I was terrified. I don't know why, but I have always found kelp forests kinda creepy, and in this game with the orange glow offsetting the dim green lights... it was terrifying.

And then I got to the red grass seas, and the majestic feedbacks that gently soar overhead combined with the immense sense of scale that this place gives you, despite being only a few hundred meters across -- outstanding.

And then things started getting weird -- or so I thought at the time. The mushroom forests, with their dense alien outcroppings and dense schools of fish - this is the first time that I truly felt like I was on an alien world rather than the tropics with a twist.

But I needed diamonds to make a laser cutter, so deeper I went, all the way past the roots of the mushrooms and into a truly alien world in perpetual near-darkness punctuated by massive globes composed of thousands of tiny neon blue lights. And in this dark abyss the first predator to truly scare me -- the bone shark -- prowled.

I haven't been deeper yet, though I'm excited to do so soon. I just got back from the floating island and I have some advanced base upgrades to deploy! Finally, real rooms, not a base of hallways!

On the way back from the floating island, I happened to glance down and see a massive field of glowing blue alien spheres, held in place by what looks like cables. I nope'd right out of there. I'll be back MUCH later :P