View Single Post
Old 01-13-2020, 11:07 PM
Yo soy pinche idiota
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak View Post
FGIE has made mistakes in the past, marrying a violently crazy person, after she showed her self to be violent, and drinking too often and too much resulting in a recent DUI. This is exactly the sort of person, generally speaking, who shouldn't be buying guns as toys, who really shouldn't have weapons this powerful knocking around the home.
Umm, the weapon in question is a .22LR, pretty much the second least powerful firearm commonly available (.22 short is less dangerous and less common). My .177 air rifle is about as dangerous (probably more dangerous to a squirrel than a .22LR pistol), and air rifles in .22 .32 .38 and .45 are available without a background check. The last 3 are all more dangerous on a per-shot basis than a .22LR pistol, and repeaters can be bought of each.

I certainly don't think that the ability to own a firearm should necessarily be a bright line, and persons who do have it taken away should have a method of having it restored after a long period of no other instances of the sort of crime that would make possession of them suspect, which is available. I've had friends and family convicted of many crimes ranging from writing bad checks to bank robbery. Even when they were absolutely guilty of the crimes, I am glad they had routes to being forgiven and restoring most, if not all, of their rights. If you're not going to eventually forgive, why not just kill those who have offended you?

I've also had a lifelong friend and her daughter murdered by the friend's boyfriend. No firearm was used, and most people can kill you without one if killing you is important to them. So, don't go pretending that I'm somehow untouched by the subject at hand. After pleading guilty, he got life (I assume double), but if I got to kill him I'd use a machete rather than a gun, noose, etc. So, I'm actually thankful that Texas is in control of his fate and not I. Vengeance isn't the point, after all. Similarly, if a person guilty of a violent crime is deemed worthy of the state to have the ability to possess a firearm again, I would be fine with it. As has been noted in this thread, the government tends to be overzealous in its convictions wherever possible. When it draws the punishments for those back, it's normally for good reason.