View Single Post
Old 09-13-2018, 12:37 PM

I finally saw the show on Tuesday night (9/11). Wow.

I mean, WOW.

I'm stingy with my standing ovations*, and I never bow to peer pressure when it comes to them, but when the final note faded I was one of the first people to stand. I wish there'd been some greater way to show my appreciation...like, a flying ovation or something.

I don't remember the last time I got to the end of a show I'd never seen before and was immediately ready to see it again. In fact, I went so far as to go to the Kennedy Center's website to see what tickets were available for this weekend's shows (the run ends on Sunday). There were, like, 7 tickets left for Saturday's matinee and 4 tickets left for Sunday's: if any of them had been even in the $300 range I might have bought one, but everything was $600+ (which is what I'd already paid). (I'll admit, though, that for just a split second I thought about getting one anyway!)

Now, some of this is not surprising. I am a huge musical and live theater fan, and over the past year I've come to believe that Lin-Manuel Miranda is a damn genius. Plus, there's this thread. So, I had high expectations...but I wasn't prepared for them to be so thorougly exceeded.

*Standing ovations seem to have become the default: I don't remember the last time I went to a performance that didn't get one. It annoys the living crap out of me, but that's a topic for a different thread.