View Single Post
Old 12-31-2018, 01:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage Rat View Post
I only know what it says in the link you posted, but the link you posted seems to make it relatively clear that the issue is not that the Midwest has good Chinese food, it's that:

1) Zimmern is not Chinese.
2) From a culinary standpoint, there is no such thing as China. The country is highly diverse in its cuisine, including both a large number of different cuisines developed by the Han people, and also the cuisines of other cultures like Tibetan, Uighur, etc.
3) While I'm not an expert on China, I did live in Japan for quite some time and there, there are a large variety of sub-cuisines. A shabu shabu restaurant is a completely different place from an okonomiyaki restaurant, a sushi restaurant, a ramen shop, etc. When I see a "Japanese" restaurant in the US and they're putting wildly different types of Japanese cuisine together into the same menu, I know that I can't expect much since they aren't properly doing any one thing. I would expect that China is much the same and that even if you chose a single regional cuisine, that you will still end up with a restaurant that's a meaningless mishmash of poor implementations of different types of food.
4) The Chinese have a tendency to eat everything under the sun. Americans eat beef, chicken, pork, onions, corn, carrots, potatoes, wheat, and a smattering of a few other things. Midwesterners are not going to eat a meal of sea cucumber, sparrow spit, roasted scorpion, etc. so even if you could source all of the weird exotic vegetables and spices from China that a midwesterner might be willing to put in their mouth once, you're really only looking at the recipes that are made with pork or which are vegetarian, if you want to sell anything in the US. It's fundamentally impossible to sell non-Americanized Chinese food to Americans on the simple basis that there's simply too drastic a difference between the cuisines. Anyone wanting to sell "Chinese" food in America will produce radically inauthentic "Chinese" food. It's the only way to make a buck. An actual Chinese restaurant would only work in New York and LA, and would have a very small audience of people who are willing to stick anything in their mouth, and who are willing to pay the cost of sourcing exotic ingredients.
5)"Chile" is the name of a country in South America. There is a category of spices/capsacin-laden fruits known as "chilis."

And duck has so much grease in it that it should be considered an energy source, rather than a food.

Last edited by kaylasdad99; 12-31-2018 at 01:26 PM.