View Single Post
Old 01-02-2019, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Nonesutch View Post
I originally didn't actually notice your emphisis on WHITE Americans, but speaking as a decidedly, distinctly NON WHITE American, one who has spent time in well over 25 different countries (15 in just the past 3 years alone) in my 48 years here on Earth, to claim that America, "WHITE" or otherwise, has created no original "culture" (however one might choose to define that) is laughably, unbelievably ignorant...
Good thing that is not what I claimed then.

Over three posts I had three points:
1. I've had Chinese food all over Asia and all of it had melded with local cuisine and the only people who worried about whether it was authentic or not were white Americans;
2. I proposed (somewhat jokingly) that the reason white Americans obsess over whether some cultural artifact (in this case Chinese food) is authentic is because their own culture is bland, so they feed off other cultures; and
3. White America often then takes ownership of the new cultural artifact (bringing it back to the subject of the OP).

You see? I made a small joke about the Gap and Jay Leno being the pinnacle of white American culture (two very boring and bland things) and then tied it back to why a very white chef in very white Minnesota felt empowered to tell Chinese restaurateurs they are doing it wrong. Then you clearly jumped in without reading the earlier posts and how my comments fit in to them so that you could be outraged by your misunderstanding.