View Single Post
Old 09-28-2017, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangosteen View Post
Listening to music one enjoys releases dopamine into your blood steam.

It makes sense, but I just hadn't thought of it in that way before.
True but bear in mind a vast number of activities involve the release of dopamine. It has many functions within the brain and the wider nervous system.

Two very common misconceptions are that dopamine is just a pleasure chemical and that if two experiences both involve the release of dopamine then those experiences are "really" the same.

Quote:
However, one can "overdose" on a particular song. When Cream put out Sunshine of your Love, it was a huge hit and I really enjoyed listening to it, but I heard it the other day and it didn't feel like I got even a small drop of dopamine.
I've noticed something similar; sometimes I will binge on a new song, and just listen to it over and over. I know it's weird listening to it for the 10th time in a row, but I can't help myself.
However, when I binge in this way, the song has a low lifespan. Once I can tear myself away from it, it's done, and I may never enjoy hearing it again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie-Xmas View Post
That while thirst demands immediate attention, hunger can wait. If a person gets really thirsty, they will stop whatever they are doing to take a drink. And will drink any liquid available (water, booze, urine, blood, swamp slime, whatever). But people can ignore hunger and have to be on the verge of total starvation before they'll eat things like rotted meat, live insects, or (in a nod to Stephen King) themselves.
Sounds suspiciously like a factoid. Any cite for that one?