View Single Post
Old 03-21-2020, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treppenwitz View Post
My bolding.

This point was rather thrown away by OldOlds - it really deserves to be emphasised.

Here's a tablet machine with a maximum capacity of just over one million tablets per hour. Yes, that's one tablet machine's output. Now, maybe you have to get an order onto a waiting list for this model, but my first hit on google was this little number which you can pick up second hand and which runs at up to three quarters of a million per hour - yours for 120 000 Euro; you'll have to buy the punches and dies separately. The things that slow you down are cleandown between batches and the logistics of feeding the damn machines. And then there's the issue of packaging those millions of tablets and getting them to warehousing.

I'm not an expert in setting up tablet production lines either (retired from the licensing side) but OldOlds' analysis doesn't sound a million miles away to me - if you need to set up a new line rather than take over and repurpose an old one. These tablets are already being produced, right? And are on the market internationally? If that's the case then it becomes, as the OP put it, a ramping up of existing production, so far as that is possible. I would hope that could be done in less than 4 months, but that leads to the question of where manufacturing is currently taking place. For an old drug like this which is primarily used for a tropical disease, who knows where the manufacturing sites are. Depending on location, upgrading an existing line may not be that simple.

The in-between solution would be to use existing contract manufacturing lines, essentially transferring an existing manufacturing process in (including the analytical procedures etc). You may be able to shorten the start-up in that way, so this approach is a hybrid of upgrading existing lines and the process OldOlds described.

There's a knock-on issue of needing to produce medicines for many, many millions of patients worldwide - is there enough spare capacity in the system for that to be handled without causing shortages elsewhere? It'll be a challenge.

So: I'm addressing the OP; but hey, how about we find out if this stuff even works first?

j
I donít think the pill manufacturing would be the bottleneck - it would be sourcing the precursors and synthesizing the actual drug.