View Single Post
Old 03-24-2020, 01:22 PM
Charter Member

This is a bread that my mother liked to make, and now it's a comfort food for me. I think she got it from some "ladies magazine" in the 60s. It's wonderfully fragrant and makes the best toast ever if it survives being eaten while still warm from the oven. I would activate the yeast prior to adding it to the other ingredients.

Herb-Parmesan Bread

This is batter bread, so it doesn’t require kneading, just thorough mixing of ingredients.

4 cups sifted flour
2 pkg. active dry yeast (check date)
2 TBSP sugar
2 TSP salt
1 TBSP dried oregano leaves
cup plus 1 TBSP grated Parmesan cheese (or combine with Romano or Asiago)
2 cups warm water (110 deg.F)
2 TBSP softened butter

In a mixing bowl, place three cups of the flour. Add salt, yeast, sugar, and oregano and mix on low speed or by hand until blended. Check the temperature of the water with a thermometer. This is critical for the yeast to properly activate. Add the water and softened butter to the dry ingredients and mix thoroughly. Add the cup of Parmesan cheese. Continue beating for 2 minutes until the batter is smooth. Add the rest of the flour gradually, either beating in by hand or with mixer at low speed. The batter should not be too wet. If it is, add a bit more sifted flour, or you’ll end up with a dense product.

Cover the bowl and let rise in warm place for about 45 minutes until double in bulk. Preheat the oven to 375 F. Beat the dough down for about 30 seconds, then transfer to a well-greased 2-quart casserole dish.

Sprinkle the remaining TBSP of cheese over the top of the bread and bake for about 45 minutes or until nicely browned. Turn out immediately onto a wire rack. It helps to run a table knife around the dish to break the loaf loose before attempting to turn it out onto the rack. Otherwise, part of it may remain in the dish.

Last edited by Chefguy; 03-24-2020 at 01:22 PM.