View Single Post
Old 03-25-2020, 02:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinoR View Post
Azithromyicin also has anti-inflammatory properties. That presents the possibility that it is some other effect of the chemical and not its antibiotic properties that helps with the disease. (Assuming that the really small test holds up.) Drawing broader lessons about antibiotics that don't share those properties would be problematic.

There is another possibility. We are constantly being exposed to all manner of bacteria that our immune systems kill off as a matter of routine. Usually that is without us being aware of them or needing medical treatment. When our immune system is struggling to fight off a very serious, and potentially deadly, virus those secondary infections may simply be too much for us to handle all at once. An antibiotic may help with the disease by killing those other threats and leaving our immune system in better position to handle the virus. That does not mean we should think that more normal viral infections, like the common cold, can benefit from fighting bacteria with antibiotics.
I popped in to say what you did about the anti-inflammatory properties. A friend of mine, about 20 years ago, had ongoing problems with her lungs. They finally wound up leaving her on azithromycin long term, not because she necessarily had a bacterial infection, but because of the antiinflammatory effect. I think she was on it for several years.

i am curious about COVID-induced pneumonia. Pneumonia can "just" be viral, or a viral illness can make room for an opportunistic bacterial infection. Are there any statistics (or theories) as to whether COVID pneumonia usually, sometimes or rarely involves a secondary infection? Any scuttlebutt about whether doctors are proactively adding antibiotics earlier in those patients who are more susceptible to such secondary infections due to existing lung disease or other circumstances? Any scuttlebutt about whether having had the pneumonia vaccine reduces the risk of COVID turning nasty on you? (as it might prevent a secondary infection from developing).