View Single Post
Old 03-25-2020, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esprise Me View Post
I'm not sure this is true. Some of the harmful effects of some illnesses are thought to be the result of the body's reaction rather than the infection itself.
See, for example, this article on the 1918 influenza pandemic, which has some eerie parallels to the current crisis, but in which young people were disproportionately affected, possibly due to their stronger immune systems:

Quote:
The age of the victims was also striking. Normally, elderly people account for the overwhelming number of influenza deaths; in 1918, that was reversed, with young adults killed in the highest numbers. This effect was heightened within certain subgroups. For instance, a Metropolitan Life Insurance Company study of people aged 25 to 45 found that 3.26 percent of all industrial workers and 6 percent of all coal miners died. Other studies found that for pregnant women, fatality rates ranged from 23 percent to 71 percent.

Why did so many young adults die? As it happens, young adults have the strongest immune systems, which attacked the virus with every weapon possible—including chemicals called cytokines and other microbe-fighting toxins—and the battlefield was the lung. These “cytokine storms” further damaged the patient’s own tissue. The destruction, according to the noted influenza expert Edwin Kilbourne, resembled nothing so much as the lesions from breathing poison gas.
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/histo...ear-180965222/

And then there's this article on using immunosuppressants to treat COVID-19 patients with hyperinflammation:
https://www.thelancet.com/journals/l...628-0/fulltext

I'm not saying that Vitamin C will send your immune system into overdrive and thereby kill you. It'll probably do nothing at all. But I wanted to address this persistent underlying belief that anything that revs up your immune system is always a good thing, because the latest thinking in medicine seems to be almost the opposite.