View Single Post
Old 09-01-2017, 11:44 AM
SDSAB

My latest five:

There's Something About Mary
Saw this grossout romantic comedy again for the first time since it came out. Weird, raunchy and very funny, just as I remembered.

Blade Runner
Rewatched this sf detective-noir classic so it'd be fresh on my mind when I see the sequel this fall. A flawed cop (Harrison Ford at his best), a beautiful woman with a tragic secret (Sean Young, lovely), and a dark, dangerous city stretching out to the horizon. Still holds up very well.

Tomorrowland
Didn't do well at the box office, but I enjoyed it. George Clooney is quite good in a clever, big-hearted sf adventure that dares us to dream again.

La La Land
Now I understand what all the fuss was about! I'm not much into musicals, but thought this exuberant love letter to L.A. was a lot of fun. Emma Stone and Ryan Gosling are great as the romantic leads, and J.K. Simmons steals every scene he's in as a grumpy restaurateur. Highly recommended.

The Martian
Rewatched this sf adventure of an American astronaut (Matt Damon) stranded on Mars. Man against nature at its purest, with knockout cinematography and some good laughs along the way.