View Single Post
Old 11-27-2017, 09:18 AM
SDSAB

My latest five:

Alien 3
Ripley gets marooned on a prison planet. Pretty damn bleak, and not nearly as good as the first two movies in the series. Charles Dance (Tywin on Game of Thrones) has a nice role as the prison doctor, though.

Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World
Terrific naval adventure set during the Napoleonic Wars. Quite an immersive experience - you often actually feel as if you're aboard HMS Surprise. Russell Crowe and Paul Bettany are great as the Royal Navy captain and his best friend, the ship's surgeon and amateur naturalist.

Thor: Ragnarok
Action, adventure, more humor than usual for these movies, and lots of fun. Favorite line: "I know him! He's a friend from work!"

The Sting
Finally saw this Depression-era con-artist film from start to finish. A clever plot and fine cast. Robert Redford and Paul Newman are, of course, great together. Robert Shaw plays the scary mobster they try to fleece.

Sense and Sensibility
Having just seen a so-so stage version of the Jane Austen novel, thought I'd go back and rewatch the 1995 adaptation which Emma Thompson both wrote and costarred in. Just as good as ever - a classic romance with a well-earned happy ending.