View Single Post
Old 11-27-2017, 01:24 PM

I was going to search for this thread so I could vent about The Dinner. I had wanted to see it and it only stayed in theaters around here for a week so I kind of forgot about it and then there it was on Netflix.

I'm not sure I can adequately describe how irritating I found this film. Great (if not all that original) premise : two sets of parents meet over dinner to discuss an incident that involves their children. Great cast: Richard Gere, Steve Coogan, Laura Linney and Rebecca Hall. Oh, and a wee part for Chloe Sevigny.

How did I hate this thing? Let me count the ways. . .

Coogan's character was absolutely insufferable. I know, I know ; he's supposed to be. But I would have thought it would have been better to have him possess a scintilla of likeability.

Laura Linney's character was like a mash up of the poor martyred sister in Love Actually and the self aggrandizing wife in Mystic River.

Richard Gere has top billing but really does little until 2/3 of the way through.

Rebecca Hall is always good but often times plays characters I dislike. This is one of those times.

Don't get me started on the children in this movie.
I wished for a moment that everyone remotely responsible for this dreck
SPOILER:
had died in the ATM vestibule fire