View Single Post
Old 09-12-2019, 01:28 AM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balthisar View Post
That might apply to tourists, and legally it applies to residents, but honestly, I never bothered. Mostly because I didn't stay long enough that the local police would ever bother me. Strictly speaking, I was supposed to re-register every time I returned to my home in Nanjing, even after a week in Chongqing, but realistically, I only did it annually when I had to renew my visa.

(I spent a week on a Yangtze cruise; now I wonder if the cruise company registered me as a hotel would?)

AIUI if you're staying somewhere in the country other than at your residence, such as at a hotel, you're required to register with the cops, which the hotel takes care of for you. You do not need to re-register when you return home. If you depart the country, you have to re-register within 24 hours of arrival, unless the local police station's household registration section is not open for some reason (not all of them are open every day of the year). If you're coming into the country as a foreign traveler, you definitely need to register at every place you go. While traveling within the country, in your case, no doubt the cruise company took care of that for you.

But you know how things like that go in many places, including China. One time when I returned to China, I went to my local police station to register. The very nice crew there asked me why I was there when I handed them all my paperwork. I pointed to the sign (which was in Chinese and English) on the wall announcing the registration requirements for us foreigners. The supervisor laughed and took care of the registration. It now takes approximately five minutes if nobody's in front of me in line. Oh, and once they ticked the wrong box on their computer system for when I registered once, resulting in me having to take a taxi from my school to re-register and a taxi back to school to turn the new registration form in with my passport to renew my employment visa.

Does the government really care about someone being sure to follow all the particulars of, let's face it, an obscure regulation that really doesn't serve much purpose? They probably don't care very much, but maybe they think it sure is nice to have something to kick someone away when they tick the government off.

Back to the Airbnb bit: I'm still wondering how the owners are treated by the governments around the world. The things I wonder about are the zoning laws, the licensing laws, and the tax laws. I also wonder about the terms of the lease the person providing the place has with the actual lessor. It seems to me like a few things may have been skipped in getting this business up and running, but I really don't know.