View Single Post
Old 06-05-2019, 12:25 AM
Mod Rocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
Yes, there were conventions; that was the means by which the people chose whether or not to ratify the Constitution. That's my point.
So what? Have you seen the vote tallies from those conventions? I am not sure that even one of them had as many as 100 persons in attendance. The conventions were organized by the states. I am not sure, but I believe that the attendees were chosen by the state legislatures. (I'm still looking that up.) I do not doubt the legitimacy of the conventions, but to claim that they were of and by the people (as in all the white, male, landowning, voting persons of each state) seems to be a stretch.

Quote:
If the Constitution had been a contract between states, it would have been sent to the various state governments for them to decide. It would have been treated like a treaty between sovereign nations.
Sending it to the states for conventions hardly seems radically different than being "sent to the various state governments for them to decide." The state legislatures could have "handed it off" to the conventions to avoid being pilloried if the whole thing self-destructed.
Quote:
Instead special conventions were called so that the people could decide whether to retain the current states they lived in or form a new country.
I see no need for a treaty, but a convention of men selected by their legslatures without a popular vote hardly meets the criterion of "by the people." How were the conventioneers selected?